The Springfield Hospital and Training School was founded in April of 1877 under the auspices of the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church. The by-laws of the institution were amended in 1931, changing the charter to a general non-denominational hospital, with the community assuming operation and control of the hospital. In 1941, the corporate name was changed to Memorial Hospital of Springfield. To accommodate the needs of the community, a $1 million fundraising campaign was conducted in 1943, which financed a 270-bed structure established at the corner of First and Miller Streets. The hospital was renamed Memorial Medical Center in January of 1974.