Perform clinical laboratory examinations, proficiency testing, quality control, professional consultation, instrument maintenance and validation, testing validation, and testing management.
- Perform waived, moderate, and highly complex analytic processes (for which competency has been validated) in each section of the laboratory including limited Microbiology. This includes the pre-analytic, analytic and post-analytic phases of such testing according to laboratory and national standards.
- After proper instruction, must be able to operate any laboratory instrumentation and perform any required procedure.
- Calibrate laboratory instruments to ensure accuracy of test results.
- Perform periodic maintenance on laboratory equipment. May be a key analyzer operator with proper training and documentation of skills. Follows the laboratory safety policies and participates in safety education programs.
- Perform quality control procedures as specified in SOPs and maintain quality control records necessary for accrediting agencies and quality assurance indicators.
- Prepare, label and perform QC on lab reagents and does not report patient results unless QC data are within accepted parameters. Recognized out-of-control values, takes corrective action, and notifies other of changes.
- Evaluate and resolve problems related to specimen collection, preparation and analysis.
- Utilize academic, technical, and clinical skills and knowledge to evaluate, troubleshoot, research, and resolve day-to-day problems that arise.
- Participate in or perform special projects as assigned by the laboratory manager.
- Enters and reports results in an accurate, timely, and confidential manner.
- Maintain accurate laboratory records and follows laboratory policy for data retrieval, record keeping, specimen identification, requisition, reporting, charting and billing procedures.
- Perform internal and external proficiency testing.
- Maintain inventory levels and monitor supplies.
- Occasional clerical duties and phlebotomy duties may also be assigned as warranted.
- Assist in training and evaluation of medical laboratory technician students.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Bachelor’s degree in medical technology or related field of study.
MLS or MT certification required within 12 months of employment and maintained throughout course of employment.