Registers, orders, labels specimens with appropriate barcode labels and receives all lab specimens arriving at SMH Lab for both inpatient, outpatient, and outreach services. Evaluates specimen received verses testing ordered and confirms specimen collection was accurate and specimens are labeled with appropriate patient identifiers. Recognizes critical “stat” specimens compared to routine testing. Understands all aspects of lab safety regarding specimen handling and processing. Ensures patient demographic, insurance and diagnosis information is correctly entered into SMH registration systems to ensure billing ins accurate and results are provided to the ordering provider.
Part-Time [10:00 pm - 6:00 am]
- Interprets, orders, and generates barcode labels from the Lab LIS system and applies labels to appropriate specimen tubes and collection containers. Must be able to interpret many different physician orders and requests to include over 1800 lab tests and select the appropriate orderable code in the Lab LIS system.
- Removes biological specimens from biohazard bags including blood, urine, bone marrow, body fluids, and tissue specimens. Understand all different types of collection media, preservatives, and risks of exposure to infectious agents. Handles both infectious A and B substances with appropriate CDC, and IDPH guidelines. Ability to determine if specimen was collected in appropriate collection container and media. Understands steps to resolve collection issues to ensure patient testing is performed or recollected.
- Receives all calls arriving in the laboratory from providers, clients, nurses, management, and patients. Logs calls in tracking software, answers all questions pertaining to phlebotomy draws, specimen collection, transport of specimens, provides lab results, supply requests, forensic autopsy cases, and administrative questions. Escalates callers to management or technical departments when necessary if unable to resolve all question
- Correctly enters outpatient and non-patient demographic, insurance, and diagnosis information into the hospital registration system, answering all questions in each field and updating any information that is not current. Understands insurance policy numbers and carrier codes including client account versus patient insurance billing. Recognizes valid diagnosis codes and follows appropriate resolution on any noncompliant codes.
- Monitors the printing of physician reports for inpatients and outpatients. Separates lab reports for delivery to the correct ordering provider or client site to ensure providers receive lab results in a timely manner.
- Communicates requests for specimen collection to phlebotomists in a timely and appropriate manner. Works closely with phlebotomy staff and managers to organize and facilitate inpatient and outpatient phlebotomy requests.
- Inputs all faxed orders into the lab orders database, questioning any illegible order, calls physician’s office with clarification of test order and patient demographics and order request (standing or one time). Follows all instructions on provider order including, add on testing and testing cancelations. Understands how to handle a verbal order request from a provider and documents correctly.
- Schedules all fine needle aspirates and biopsies as requested by clinicians, ensures a pathologist is dispatched when clinician is ready to perform procedure.
- Processes all slide and block requests for internal and external consultations, including preparing appropriate paperwork, requesting material, pathologist review and sign off, shipping, and material returns.
- Assists with the preparation of slides and blocks for sendout testing.
- Contribute to departmental operations by performing other related duties as may be required and/or assigned.
- Monitors the laboratory computer system operations menu to ensure all operations are running and respond to the appropriate prompts to print daily reports. Notify appropriate computer operations staff concerning exceptions.
- Maintains and scans patient records according to government regulations and accreditation guidelines.
- Ensures that professional and personal activities conform to Springfield Memorial Hospital strategic plan and philosophy regarding the Guest Relation Program.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
High school diploma or equivalent.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Basic communication skills required.
- Knowledge of insurance policy numbers and diagnosis coding definitions helpful.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology.
- Knowledge of laboratory test codes and testing requirements.
- Demonstrate the ability to type and use a keypad.
- Moderate physical effort.