Serves as the primary communication and information “hub” for the unit, answering telephones and patient call lights and ensuring that appropriate parties receive information in an expeditious manner. Enters patient orders into the electronic medical record in a timely manner with a high degree of accuracy. Performs complex secretarial and receptionist functions including ordering and stocking needed supplies and equipment, filing, copying, and printing patient data reports for the department. Patient care tasks may be performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Promptly and courteously greets others in a friendly manner.
- Receives and directs others by using AIDET and Greet & Feet.
- Within scope of job description, responds to questions and provides direction.
- Facilitates telephone, verbal, written, and electronic communication with nursing staff, physicians, patients, and visitors promptly, accurately, and professionally.
- Consistently uses the Physician Profile to ascertain the correct method/number to page physicians.
- Updates and maintains call light system assignments accurately and efficiently during each shift.
- Appropriately utilizes the Patient Tracking system in communicating with the Patient Placement Office.
2. Information Processing
- Prioritizes stat orders and immediate needs.
- Processes orders accurately.
- Accurately inputs data into the electronic medical record and maintains accurate paper records for those items that are not computerized.
- Refers patient/visitor concerns to nursing and/or customer service staff.
- Refers news media to nursing or public relations staff.
- Demonstrates safe, accurate, and effective use of office equipment.
- Writes legibly and clearly.
3. Medical Records Maintenance
- Assembles chart forms.
- Puts patient identifier on all chart forms.
- Thins charts when needed and forwards documents to Medical Records.
- Files patient data after review by nurse.
- Sends discharge patient record to Medical Records.
- Gathers and copies appropriate paperwork from the RN for patient transfers to other units and facilities.
- Manages large amounts of sensitive and confidential information concerning patient and family information in medical documents.
4. Service Requisitions
- In partnership with the Nursing Material Specialists, assures adequate supplies are available.
- Reviews receipts of new supplies and equipment upon arrival; validates accuracy and places supplies in assigned location.
- Sends service requisitions to interdisciplinary departments.
- Promptly and accurately enters data and maintains unit activity sheets as directed.
- Maintains equipment logs and facilitate maintenance of equipment with Biomed or appropriate department.
5. Unit Operations
- Utilizes time and resources effectively and efficiently.
- Assists in maintaining safe environment and reports unsafe conditions.
- Completes assigned tasks accurately and timely.
- Completes basic patient care tasks as directed by registered nurse.
- Freshens drinking water.
- Serves/collects food trays.
- Responds to call lights and bed/chair alarms.
- Provides 1:1 direct and constant patient observation as delegated.
- Expedites timely admission, discharge, and transfer of patients to facilitate patient flow.
- Participates in QI activities; maintaining logs, statistical records, and data collection.
- Acts as a preceptor as needed.
- Handles medications delivered from pharmacy directly or through the pneumatic tube system. Relocates these medications, in original containers, to designated secure storage locations or delivers directly to appropriate licensed staff.
- May serve as the second person to witness the wasted amount of a controlled substance in the Pyxis.
- Assists with stocking unit supply stations.
- Complies with established policies, procedures, standards, and guidelines.
- Follows the chain of command.
- Consistently utilizes time and resources effectively and efficiently.
- Maintains cleanliness of unit, service area, and equipment.
- Cooperates with all members of the healthcare team.
- Enthusiastically supports and participates in planned changes.
- Accepts responsibility for accurate and timely completion of tasks as assigned.
7. Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- High school graduate or GED required, associates or bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Two (2) years secretarial or comparable clerical experience required.
- Medical Office Assistant certificate or one (1) year of business or other related college coursework may be considered in lieu of clerical experience.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Knowledge of medical terminology is strongly preferred.
- Proficient with personal computers and software (including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- Demonstrates initiative, self-direction, motivation, and a proven ability to work successfully with a variety of people and disciplines.