Under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse or Licensed Physician, the Nurse Tech/Unit Secretary functions as a member of the patient care team to provide care to a designated group of patients.
- Provides care to patients under the direction of Registered Professional Nurse. Initiates suggestions to RN to clarify, alter, or individualize nursing care for changing patient needs.
- Initiates suggestions to RN to clarify, alter, or individualize nursing care for changing patient needs.
- Reinforces patients’ teaching relative to presenting conditions.
- Communications effectively with all members of the patient care team.
- Promotes cooperation and teamwork between departments.
- Documents care provided in the medical record accurately, timely and in an appropriate manner according to policies & procedures.
- Provides transport and safe patient care during transport utilizing appropriate protocols.
- Applies and maintains restraining devices as directed.
- Performs venipunctures to collect serum.
- Monitors suicidal patients in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Assists in all aspects of patient care as directed while maintaining patient privacy.
- Checks, cleans and stocks rooms with supplies and linens in preparation for daily work schedule.
- Responsible for performing equipment checks as directed, reporting all instances of malfunctioning to the nurse in charge of the department at the time the malfunction is determined.
- Performs clerical functions utilizing appropriate communication skills as directed.
- Transcribes physician orders and performs order entry accurately, efficiently and in order of priority.
- Prepares medical record for distribution to medical records and department copies as appropriate.
- Prepares paperwork associated with patient transfer to other facilities.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Current EMT, CNA or Medical Assistant certification for Emergency Department required.
- Current CPR certification required.
- Maintain licensure and continuing education as appropriate for scope of practice.
- Word processing/computer application experience and knowledge desired.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.