Collects blood/urine/swabs specimens from patients of all ages and processes specimens appropriately for delivery to testing department. Performs and results a variety of waived point-of-care testing including quality control. Interprets and inputs all laboratory orders into computer system for outpatient testing. Determines medical necessity and interprets orders that have a diagnosis that does not support the testing ordered.
Part-Time position at Memorial Care [Hours Vary anywhere between 07:30AM - 08:30PM]
- Performs and results waived point-of-care testing such as urine pregnancies, urine dipsticks, rapid strep screens, RSV, influenza, and Hem occult testing.
- Correctly enter patient demographic and billing information into the hospital admitting system. Understands insurance policy numbers and carrier codes. Verifies diagnosis with test order for Medicare reimbursement. Prints the ABN and obtains necessary patient information on required situations. Provides accurate communication to assist outpatients in the Medicare process.
- Accurately identify and obtain blood specimens from patients of all ages, employees, etc. as requested by authorized personnel (i.e. physicians, nurses, residents) using correct technique and appropriate equipment. Maintains productivity at a rate comparable to other experienced staff (6-8 patients per hour).
- Reads, interprets and correctly enters outpatient and non-patient physician orders, questioning any unclear order with supervisor. Rechecks the order for errors, making any necessary corrections. Performs cancellations requested by authorized personnel using proper documentation.
- Participates in the collection of special procedures (ISP, drug screens, EBT, cultures, Influenza/RSV’s, research studies, bone marrows, capillary collections, therapeutic phlebotomy, cortisol stimulation testing, etc.). Assist non-laboratory personnel with specimen requirements and collection procedures.
- Ensures specimen integrity by adhering to appropriate laboratory packaging protocols. Ensures that all specimens received from client and physician offices are documented against packing lists and follows up with the site in the event all specimens are not received. Completes tracking logs and prepares specimens for courier pick up.
- Monitors daily phlebotomy actions by the use of various computer programs and logs (ORV, collection list, will call board, etc.). Maintains specimen tracking by correctly logging in all specimens with the correct time and date of specimen collection.
- Maintains Phlebotomy and clerical areas in a clean and orderly manner. Order and maintain supplies and keep areas stocked accordingly.Inputs all faxed orders into the lab orders database, questioning any illegible order, calls physician’s office with clarification of test order and patient demographics and order request (standing or one time).
- Communicates telephone or verbal messages effectively to appropriate lab divisions, personnel or administrative staff. Provides effective communication to the outpatient either in person or by telephone. Gives patient test results to nursing units and physician offices in accordance with medical center policies either verbally or by fax communication.Performs other related work as required or requested.
- High School graduate or equivalent required.
- ASCP Phlebotomy Certification preferred.
- Knowledge of use of proper personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Customer-service oriented.
- Good communication skills required.
- Basic medical terminology helpful.
- Strong typing and computer skills necessary.
- Ability to accurately follow directions and perform specific functions. May be exposed to potentially infectious diseases.