Under supervision of the registered nurse, performs a variety of tasks and services to assist in the provision of care and comfort for mental health patients. Provides care appropriate to the age of the patients served; reports and records observations; contributes to the efficient functioning of the unit including answering telephones, directing unit traffic, and entering patient orders into the electronic medical record in a timely manner with a high degree of accuracy. Provides a visible presence on the unit. Maintains a safe and secure environment for patients, visitor, employees, and physicians. Intervenes in difficult and sometimes physical situations to ensure the safety of patients, visitors, employees and physicians. All duties performed in accordance with established, policies, procedures, standards and guidelines.
- Performs and documents nursing care measures to meet the physical needs of patients.
- Provides or assists patient with hygiene activities.
- Assists with patient activity using proper body mechanics, transfer techniques, and assistive devices.
- Adheres to safety precautions with patient mobility.
- Feeds and/or assists patients with food trays and nourishments while providing continuous monitoring of utensils during meals.
- Assists patient with elimination needs and follows steps to prevent infection.
- Collects and records intake and output.
- Assists with admission, transfer and discharge of patients.
- Performs patient care tasks as delegated by the nurse.
- Obtains and records vital signs, weight, and blood glucose readings.
- Reports data about the patient to the nurse.
- Observes and reports unusual conditions and/or change in patient behavior or appearance to the nurse.
- Records all interventions; observes and reports the patient response, changes, and/or deviations from normal parameters.
- Follows unit protocols and records findings.
- Observes safety precautions for patient/family/self/others.
- Follows hospital policies to prevent the transmission of infections.
- Provides continuous observation and documentation for high-risk patients.
- Performs searches of persons, patient belongings, and rooms to ensure a safe environment.
- Collaborates with the nurse and security to manage patients in crisis.
- Transports and provides continuous observation for all patients requiring testing or procedures in another department.
- Required to provide 1:1 supervision for high-risk patients and/or equipment, as delegated by the nurse.
- Maintain unit awareness through continuous monitoring of the milieu.
- Controls the entry and exit of colleagues and visitors to the unit.
- Provides constant monitoring of all legal proceedings.
- Checks in visitors and ensures all visitor belongings are correctly stored before allowing access to the unit.
- Unit Surveillance and monitoring cameras and alerting colleagues of potential safety issues.
- Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, intercedes in disputes between individuals using verbal de-escalation techniques and skills, to diffuse potentially violent patient or visitor situations.
- Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, physically manages combative, violent persons who endanger staff, physicians, patients or visitors.
- Applies and maintains restraint devices and documents as delegated by the nurse.
- Conducts continuous patient observation rounds every fifteen minutes.
- Complies with established policies, procedures, standards and guidelines.
- Promotes efficient and effective functioning of the unit/hospital.
- Completes assigned aspects of unit inventory management.
- Assures adequate supplies are stocked and available.
- Reviews receipts of new supplies and equipment upon arrival; validates accuracy and places supplies in assigned location.
- Facilitates maintenance of equipment with Biomed or appropriate department.
- Handles floor stock medications or medications delivered from Pharmacy directly or through the pneumatic tube system. Relocates these medications, in original containers, to designated secure storage locations or deliver directly to appropriate licensed staff.
- Uses designated lines of communication and authority.
- Facilitates telephone, verbal, written, and electronic communication with nursing staff, physicians, patients, and visitors promptly, accurately, and professionally.
- Maintains cleanliness and safety of unit, service area and equipment.
- May be required to flex into a different role or between the different psychiatric departments as required for adequate staffing.
- Upholds the Illinois Mental Health Code, regarding patient rights and confidentiality.
- Information Processing
- Prioritizes stat orders and immediate needs.
- Processes orders accurately.
- Accurately inputs data into the electronic medical record and maintains accurate paper records for those items that are not computerized.
- Refers patient/visitor concerns to nursing and/or customer service staff.
- Refers news media to nursing or public relations staff.
- Medical Records Maintenance
- Assembles admission chart packs.
- Puts patient identifier on all chart forms.
- Scans patient documents to Medical Records.
- Gathers and copies appropriate paperwork from the RN for patient transfers to other units and facilities.
- Manages large amounts of sensitive and confidential information concerning patient and family information in medical documents.
- Creates a Great Patient Experience.
- Promptly and courteously greets others in a friendly manner.
- Receives and directs others by using AIDET and Greet & Feet.
- Responds to patient requests in a timely manner.
- Within scope of job description, responds to questions and provides direction.
- Interacts with patients/visitors/others in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Provides therapeutic activities and psychoeducational groups for patients.
- Provides individualized social skills training.
- Performs additional unit specific tasks/care elements for which they have received specific instruction and demonstrated competence.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- One of the following required:
- Relevant healthcare program completion (e.g. certified nursing assistant, emergency medical technician-basic, medical assistant, personal care aide, etc.)
- Completion or active enrollment in core nursing classes
- CPR certification required, or obtained during nursing team onboarding process.
- Obtain national certification as a psychiatric technician within 1 year of employment preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of relevant work experience performing the essential responsibilities of the mental health technician role.
- Experience in Mental Health and/or Forensic work preferred.
- Post high school education in Psychology or related field preferred.
- One-year secretarial or comparable clerical experience strongly preferred.
- Basic computer data entry skills, including the ability to enter, store and retrieve information.
- Possesses updated knowledge and competency in using equipment related to job duties (i.e., gait belt, mobility devices, protection/safety equipment, etc.)
- Demonstrates effective communication skills with the ability to relay information to/from patients, their families, and members of the care team.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Demonstrates initiative, self-direction, motivation, and a proven ability to work successfully with a variety of people and disciplines.
- Successful completion of Nursing Team Onboarding, unit-based orientation, and clinical competency validation tool within 30 days of hire required.
- Successful completion of Safety First Training within 30 days of hire and annually thereafter required