Using specimens from patients of all ages, performs a wide variety of laboratory procedures requiring independent judgment, using both manual and automated methods, reporting the results in a timely manner.
- Performs various laboratory tests, evaluates data, and provides information for the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- Performs quality control and evaluates the quality control data to assess accuracy, reproducibility and validity of laboratory results.
- Recognizes unexpected results, errors, and problems with patient’s results or knows when to seek advice.
- Assists with education of new employees or students as assigned.
- Maintains and communicates departmental records of test performed, test results and equipment maintenance.
- Participates in the collection of specimens and samples from patients.
- Takes part in department in-service programs.
- Is knowledgeable of and abides by safety regulations.
- Maintains 12 hours of continuing education per year in general laboratory topics.
- Maintains cross-training in a minimum of two diverse technical areas.
- Maintains confidentiality of information regarding all patient testing/results as detailed in hospital policies.
- Assists in the overall operation of the laboratory, including utilization of resources and follows laboratory safety regulations.
- Contributes to effective customer relations by assisting patients, visitors, physicians to resolve expressed concerns and by demonstrating a welcoming and helpful attitude.
- Assure compliance with all local, state, federal and national regulatory agencies or organizations.
- Conserves hospital resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to perform job duties.
- Ensures that professional and personal activities conform to Memorial Medical Center’s Strategic plan and Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or Microbiology
- Work experience commensurate with training and education as a medical laboratory scientist preferred.