Under immediate supervision, assists in developing, modifying, and administering an array of up to fifty clinical systems including, but not limited to the Cerner Millennium suite of applications. Assists in design, maintenance, and support of complex and highly integrated computer-based application software in the Millennium application suite including integration with downstream electronic medical record (EMR) systems in use at the relevant hospital organizations. Develops documentation to effectively communicate and analyze the information flow related to the delivery of quality patient care through various system interfaces. Serves as a project manager, trainer and analyst during design, development, evaluation, selection, implementation and ongoing support of all assigned systems.
- Assists in developing, modifying, and administering an array of up to fifty clinical systems including, but not limited to the Cerner Millennium suite of applications.
- Assists in design, maintenance, and support of complex and highly integrated computer-based application software in the Millennium application suite including integration with downstream electronic medical record (EMR) systems in use at the relevant hospital organizations.
- Develops documentation to effectively communicate and analyze the information flow related to the delivery of quality patient care through various system interfaces.
- Serve as the first-line support for maintenance of assigned systems.
- Assists manager, change management team, and support teams to progress environments and code across environments. Assists in the coordination of test plans and identifies issues with vendors and users of the application prior to implementation in a production environment.
- Work with various teams to identify project risks and provide resolution to understand and implement solution integration points.
- Assist in resolution of help desk issues of low to medium complexity.
- Assists with coordination of system installations, updates or problem resolution which impacts system performance between the hardware and application vendor.
- Actively participate in change management processes at application and departmental levels.
- Assists with upgrades, installations, etc. including project planning and scheduling of project activities in coordination with system users, vendors, coordinating projects, and Information Technology personnel.
- Participates in professional development opportunities.
- Work with MHS at all levels and departments and be able to manage situations appropriately.
- Monitors all assigned systems and documents performance, reacts to degradation of service through coordination with affected departments and recommends alternatives to existing system configuration.
- Subject to call back at all times. Must be available to support the organization and staff as necessary particularly in crisis or downtime situations as necessary.
- Through personal motivation, achieve results personally and through others particularly related to providing exceptional customer service.
- Coordinates, accomplishes or supervises the activities of a project team in the performance of the tasks associated with system development including the system design, administration, testing, installation and ongoing system support.
- Assist in developing and implementing departmental policies and procedures designed to meet customer requirements consistently and appropriately.
- Manage time appropriately in order to meet assigned goals.
- Support development and achievement of departmental goals and initiatives in positive constructive manner at all times. Develop and achieve personal goals annually.
- Work constructively with user communities to proactively identify areas for service enhancements throughout IT. Develop positive relationships with others to continuously support the mission, vision and strategic goals of MHS.
- Develop creative solutions to ensure uninterrupted service and support of development activities whenever possible.
- Proactively monitor industry development to ensure MHS is positioned to be a leading organization in areas under direct control and throughout IT. Identify creative solutions to problems and opportunities to enhance our value to the organization. Embrace change to improve results. Expect and require exceptional performance of self and others.
- Solicit user feedback routinely to ensure we are meeting expectations and to proactively identify areas for continued improvement.
- Serves as coordinator for disaster recovery on responsible systems.
- Follow all security policies and ensure that any improvements in system security are identified and addressed in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Maintain an excellent rapport with patients, visitors, physicians and fellow employees.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or other related field is required. Three to four years applied technical experience in a clinical environment, particularly in specific areas such as nursing, radiology, laboratory or experience with electronic medical record systems may be considered in lieu of educational requirements
- Minimum one year experience in Information Technology including project management, advanced support management or other similar experience required. Two years clinical experience and/or relevant system experience in EMR systems is preferred.
- Experience dealing with external vendors required.
- Proficiency with computer systems. Basic understanding of databases, knowledge of interfaces, networks, and hardware required. Programming skills preferred.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to consistently exercise sound judgment and initiative in very stressful situations required. Ability to effectively manage competing priorities essential.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff both inside and outside of IT.
- Demonstrated dedication to a positive attitude, strong customer service support.
- Demonstrated ability to convey technical knowledge in both written and verbal format. Formal presentation skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment is required.
- Demonstrated ability to execute projects from start to finish including the development, measurement and reporting of key performance indicators and commitment to continuous quality improvement.
- Ability to work in fast paced stressful situations and remain composed.
- Availability for evening and weekend “on call” as required for 24 hour, 7 day a week support of systems.