Under the supervision of a RN/Case Manager, performs the primary function of an LPN in the care of patients in the Wound Healing Center. Is responsible for meeting the established WHC Standards of Nursing Practice in the management of all assigned patients. Assists physicians/Case Manager with the implementation of wound treatment plans. Provides age-appropriate care. Participates in research when appropriate and incorporates research finding into evidence-based clinical practice. Contributes to quality improvement processes. Adheres to the SMH Mission, Vision, and Values, federal and state laws, Joint Commission standards and professional and ethical practice.
- Provides direct patient care that includes working with adult and pediatric, as needed, patients of all ages suffering from various chronic wound conditions, in person and over the phone, completing tasks involving the use of assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation skills, and administration of prescribed medications and treatments.
- Assists physician with wound therapy including but not limited to debridement, casting/splinting, cast removal, skin substitute/graft applications, biopsy and suture closure and removal of sutures and staples.
- Apply wound dressings as ordered including but not limited to compressions wraps, negative pressure wound therapy(vac), and gauze/kerlix wraps Perform hyperbaric treatments and monitor patient during therapy.
- Functions as a case manager for a defined patient population as needed.
- Explains treatment process to patient and family.
- Communicates relevant patient information to other members of the health team. Documents patient care according to Memorial/contracted wound company policies and procedures.
- Learn and stay up to date on chronic wound healing protocols including HBOT, skin substitutes, wound dressings, compression wrap techniques, and off-loading devices.
- May precept new nursing employees and/or nursing students.
- Identifies and resolves safety risks. Participates in continuous quality improvement. Participates in periodic review and revision of policies, procedures, and standards of care.
- Advocates for patients and families. Contributes to nursing research activities and applies finding in clinical practice.
- Coordinates the use of clinic staff, exam rooms, and supplies. Prepares for clinic to enable accurate and complete updates to the physician. Triages telephone calls and schedules patients
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
- Valid state license to practice practical nursing required.
- Valid CPR certification required.
- Maintains state required CME.
- Prior computer experience preferred.
- Previous experience in medical/surgical, home health or clinic setting preferred. Wound Care experience preferred.
- Must be able to position and /or transfer an average adult and possess gross coordination sufficient to perform other patient care duties as required. Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of standing. Must be able to perform difficult manipulative skills.
- Completion of the 5-6 day, Advanced Wound Care/HBOT training course either offsite or by video conference is required upon hire within 6 months.