Performs careful and accurate scientific work in multiple laboratory departments for a wide variety of laboratory procedures on specimens from patients of all ages, using both manual and automated methods. Demonstrates independent judgment and technical interpretation of test results and potential exceptions in the testing process. Serves as a technical resource for Level I Medical Laboratory Scientists and other laboratory staff. Performs routine corrective maintenance and troubleshooting for highly sophisticated instrumentation utilized within the laboratory.
- Performs various laboratory tests, evaluates data, correlate results with pathologic and physiologic states and patient therapy to determine validity and reasonableness of data.
- Evaluate and calculates quality control statistics to assess accuracy, reproducibility and validity of laboratory methods.
- Performs analytical and decision-making functions without direct supervision, recognizes unexpected results, and take necessary corrective action.
- Provides technical and analytic interpretive skills for Medical Laboratory Scientist I and supports educational activities for the Medical Laboratory Scientist I and peers in these skills.
- Integrates and relates laboratory data generated by various sections in making judgments regarding possible discrepancies.
- Assists in the preparation and presentation of teaching materials for the Department of Laboratory Medicine & Pathology.
- Performs preventative and most corrective maintenance and repairs on sophisticated and often computerized laboratory equipment. Calibrates laboratory instruments to assure accuracy.
- Participates in the collection of specimens and samples from patients.
- Demonstrates knowledge and theory behind instrumentation. Diagnoses laboratory instrument malfunctions, and decides when back-up methods must be initiated. Operates all instrumentation in assigned areas and performs all technical procedures.
- May be asked to assist with evaluation and/or development of new test procedures, monitors them for unexpected problems or sources of error.
- May be asked to assist in researching, reviewing and writing of technical procedures.
- Collects and controls laboratory specimens.
- Assures the quality and timeliness of patient results by assisting with investigation of any problems involving specimen collection, results reporting and turn-around times.
- Recognizes unexpected results, errors and problems with patient test. Identifies the technical, instrument or physiologic cause, such as patient variable or interfering substances.
- Maintains and communicates department records of tests performed, test results and equipment maintenance.
- Maintains 12 hours of continuing education per year, and cross-training in a minimum of two diverse technical areas.
- Must be capable of performing in a variety of laboratory divisions.
- Maintains confidentiality of information regarding all patient testing/results as detailed in hospital policies.
- Conserves hospital resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to perform job duties.
- Assure compliance with all local, state, federal and national regulatory agencies and organizations.
- Contributes to effective customer relations by assisting patients, visitors, physicians to resolve expressed concerns and by demonstrating a welcoming and helpful attitude.
- Ensures that professional and personal activities conform to Memorial Medical Center’s Strategic plan and Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science or equivalent required.
- Medical Lab Scientist (ASCP) registration or equivalent certification required.
- Greater than one year experience as a medical laboratory scientist working in a high volume – high complexity laboratory required.
- Proven experience in interpretation and evaluation of laboratory testing, including problem resolution as well as clinical application.
- Effective trouble shooting skills for both ongoing instrumentation maintenance and troubleshooting functions to assure effective equipment performance.
- Light to moderate physical effort.