The function of this position is to perform basic phlebotomy and laboratory assistant duties. A variety of tasks fall within this classification such as blood collection from patients of all ages, collection of body fluid specimens (i.e. urine) and cultures and other functions within the department under the supervision of a medical technologist.
- Accurately identify and obtain blood specimens from inpatients/outpatients of all ages, employees, etc. as requested by authorized personnel (i.e. physicians, residents, employee health nurse) using the correct technique and appropriate equipment. Verifies accuracy of computer generated orders. Resolves any discrepancies prior to drawing the patient. Ensure specimen integrity by adhering to appropriate laboratory collection protocols. (i.e. checking for IV’s, fistulas, etc). Initial, date, and record time blood was collected on all laboratory requisition forms or specimens.
- Assists with retrieving blood from tube station, central collecting blood in computer system, stocking of phlebotomy supplies, etc.
- Monitor daily phlebotomy actions by the use of various computer programs and logs. (i.e. Collection Inquiry, Phlebotomy Dispatch Log, will call board, etc).
- Maintains phlebotomy area and carts in a neat and clean manner, well stocked with supplies.
- Must collect timed specimens within 30 minutes of requested time and stat specimens within 15 minutes of requested time. Communicates effectively with other hospital personnel regarding collection of timed specimens, stats, and specimens that are unable to be obtained from patients for any reason.
- Carry and actively use a Vocera appropriately as well as carry a surgery phone and star 3 pager.
- Follows guidelines for sending specimens through the pneumatic tube station to ensure turn-around time requirements are met.
- Maintains specimen tracking by correctly logging in all inpatients and floor samples with the correct time of specimen collection. Evaluate and clear pending logs to ensure all patient samples are accounted for.
- Maintains patient confidentiality according to MHS’s Code of Conduct and HIPPA standards.
- Participates in the orientation and/or training of personnel as directed by administrative staff, supervisor or other authorized personnel.
- Maintains productivity at a rate comparable to other experienced staff (6-8 patients per hour).
- Performs non-technical procedures and other tasks as determined by the director, administrative staff, supervisor or other authorized personnel in order to maintain primary departmental functions.
- Contributes to effective customer relations by assisting patients, visitors, physicians to resolve expressed concerns and by demonstrating a welcoming and helpful attitude.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- High School graduate or equivalent required.
- ASCP Phlebotomy Certification or equivalent preferred.
- Phlebotomy experience preferred.
- Manual dexterity is essential.
- Ability to accurately follow directions and perform specific functions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with hospitalized patients and outpatients.
- Ability to communicate effectively with hospital and lab staff.
- Knowledge of use of proper personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Moderate physical effort.
- May be exposed to potentially infectious diseases.