The Medical Records Associate maintains medical record integrity through filing, scanning, assembling and retrieving confidential patient records for all purposes and assists in all other areas of medical records as assigned.
*this is a Full-Time, Day shift position.
- Answers department phone and addresses requests.
- Maintain the medical record electronically, including the conversion of paper to electronic.
- Able to refer to and find patient records within the older file system as appropriate.
- Maintain the file system/rooms in a manner that assures prompt retrieval of patient information when needed.
- Prepare and provide medical records as needed to internal and external requestors, monitoring movement in appropriate system.
- Scan reports into patient accounts under appropriate headings.
- Verify scanned images are legible, clear and titled correctly.
- Analyze records for documentation deficiencies, keeping current with the documentation requirements and addressing physician questions or comments with a note and/or copies of the requirements.
- Forward incomplete records in accordance with established guidelines to assure prompt completion by appropriate persons.
- Comply with policies and procedures related to medico-legal matters including confidentiality, amendment of medical records, release of information, etc.
- Enter information into the Patient Disclosure Log.
- Box and log charts for storage (i.e. monitor strips, etc.).
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
High school graduate or GED equivalent required.
Medical records experience or coursework strongly preferred.
Basic skills in using a computer, phone, fax machine.