Works closely with chief technologist, sonographer and Executive Director to supervise and perform technical procedures in the Department of Ultrasonography. Coordinates the staff work schedule at all locations and the day to day activity of patient procedures performed in the assigned modality.
- Contributes to the achievement of excellence in healthcare through the quality and caring values of Decatur Memorial Hospital
- Demonstrates courteous behavior through respectful communication with all co-workers, physicians, patients and guests.
- Demonstrates cost effectiveness in the use of supplies and equipment as indicated by minimal wastage of supplies. Maintains adequate inventory of all required supplies while maintaining budgetary goals.
- Supervises technologists and clinical staff of the department to ensure the quality of work.
- Interviews and recommends for hiring quality staff according to Human Resources policies.
- Schedules staff at all modality sites to ensure coverage of procedures in all work areas.
- Determines staff needs, work methods and performance standards. Monitors job performance or each employee demonstrated by observation and quality of work.
- Conducts annual performance evaluations on all personnel according to the established time frame.
- Performs all duties of staff technologist as required and maintains competency in all areas of the department.
- Maintains records and reports, and collects statistical for administrative and regulatory purposes.
- Checks the quality control of materials and equipment to be used on a daily basis according to manufacturing recommendations.
- Participates actively in the departmental and hospital councils, committees, and task forces while contributing to the effective management of the department.
- Develops and meets goals and objectives which support department strategic plan.
- Keeps Radiology Executive Director informed of any unusual concerns, situations, or conditions relative to staff, patients, and physicians.
- Demonstrates ability to use all channels of communication to address inter- and intra-departmental concerns, solve problems and address conflicts.
- Takes action to discipline staff according to hospital policy and procedure, under the direction of Department Director and Human Resources guidance.
- Demonstrates commitment to professional growth and competence.
- Demonstrates knowledge of institutional regulations regarding patient care, fire and safety, infection control, disaster plans, and emergency codes and procedures according to departmental procedures.
- Conducts orientation of new employees according to hospital orientation checklist.
- Assists staff in developing goals and objectives for individual growth and development.
Education and/or Other Requirements
Must be a graduate of AMA approved School of Radiological Technology; must achieve ARRT registration and Illinois State license; must maintain educational requirements for licensure and registration. Must be CPR certified.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Knowledge of human anatomy, physiology, pathology, and medical terminology.
- Knowledge of technical factors utilizing kVp, and mAs per anatomical exposure.
- Knowledge of patient positioning techniques required to image human anatomy.
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations applicable to contrast media and medication.
- Knowledge of radiation protection and safety.
- Skill in speaking with persons of various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds.
- Ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very small objects.
- Ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
This position is performed within an environment of occasional exposure to moderate environmental variations, above-normal noise level, and/or unpleasant substances. Daily exposure to hazardous or potential injurious elements or conditions. Daily exposure to ionizing radiation. The employee will be exposed to blood, body fluids/tissues, and electromagnetic radiation, as in CRT’s or VDT’s.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of the job the employee is required to stand 80% of the time, bend and reach (80 inches from the floor).
- The employee will regularly be required to lift, push and pull weight of at least 5 to 75 pounds.
- Ability to assist average size person (150 pounds) to and from x-ray table, etc.
- Able to support average person for approximately two minutes.
- Ability to attend to visual details.
- Ability to make precise arm/hand positions movements where strength and speed are minimized.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to receive and comprehend written and oral communications.
- Analyze information or data.
- Plan sequence of operations or actions.
- Ability to work under stress and to adapt to changing conditions.
- Ability to adjust to performing routine and repetitive tasks without specific supervision. Ability to concentrate on fine detail with constant interruptions and attend to tasks for 45-60 minutes at a time.
- Ability to understand and relate to the concepts behind specific ideas and remember multiple tasks given to self and others over long periods of time.
- Ability to communicate verbally, using advanced level of vocabulary.
- Comprehend written basic instructions, safety rules, office memoranda at a high school graduate level.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist an otherwise qualified individual in the performance of the job. In order to meet the needs of the Company employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above.